Saturday, June 22, 2013

Song Tan

I would first like to begin with stating that my body woke me up at 6:15 this morning.  That is something that NEVER happens.  Well that's not true sometimes I go through this fear on weekdays when I need to be at work that my alarm has been shut off and I over slept but it is actually only 6, but I go right back to sleep so for this purpose we are going to say that it doesn't count. 

Anyway... we told Brittany and Stephen to meet us at our hotel around 9 to walk around the city.  So mom and dad and I did some pre-touring of Song Tan before they got there.  We saw some amazing signs:


The clubs in Song Tan are upset that their establishments are being boycotted and have hung signs up.  As I sit in the hotel right now I can randomly hear some of the protest chants.

On our morning walk we did see a pet shop with adorable bunnies!  They were so small and cuddly.  I tried to take a picture, but mostly you can see my reflection, so fail.

Song Tan is very much like large cities, where there are a lot of buildings, strong smells and a lot of alleys.  Things do not open early around here, granted it is Sunday, so that is a possible reason, but on the stores we did see that Tuesday is a frequent closing day.  We walked over a bridge and it was pretty cool to see a large part of the city:


It was a bummer because we waited on the bridge for a train and as soon as we walked off of the bridge we heard it go past.  Just our luck.

After we had breakfast at the hotel with Brittany and Stephen we walked the main Song Tan market.  It was very nice.  They had a lot of shops.  Stephen took us into his favorite shops.  There was a blanket store that was really cool.  I did love seeing the Washington Redskins mascot on a blanket there. 

They also had a McDonald's that was open 24 hours.  Now this was not a surprise to me because I know McDonald's is everywhere.  The surprise with this particular establishment was on the street outside:


McDonald's delivers.  I just can't get over that concept.  Can you imagine what America would be like if this caught on?  I shutter to think. 

We didn't purchase anything, but there is so much to see.  This area is really Americanized, obviously with their main patrons being military, but there were some stunning pieces of furniture and jewelry.

 
 
Stephen was supposed to be on the base at 1, so we went to an early lunch at a sushi place that Brittany and Stephen recommended.  Yes, sushi is Japanese, but hey... it was good.  I loved the Pepsi bottles:
 
 
 
It was a little strange that the sushi was warm, but it was still good.  After lunch we have returned to the hotel, mom and dad are napping.  I was doing some reading for school and writing to you all.
 
Here are some of the pictures from yesterday (was it yesterday?  It feels like it took 3 days to get here):
This is Dallas before we made it to Korea... note how we are still somewhat chipper

Your guess is as good as mine...

This is one of the bridges with their really beautiful suspensions.



1 comment:

  1. Look forward to seeing and reading more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete