Thursday, June 27, 2013

Korean Folk Village

Today we had originally planned on going to the DMZ, but as I said in my last post, they were sold out.  At first I have to admit I was a little relieved by that because North Korea is such a scary thing.  I guess I should say that the DMZ in the Demilitarized Zone.  This is space between North Korea and South Korea that is the safe place.  So having heard of people being too close to North Korea and being taken into North Korean prison, I was a little worried.  However, as I thought of the number of tours that go there, I think it probably would have been a pretty cool experience.  Unfortunately it was not meant to be.

We instead decided to go to a Korean Folk Village, which is a series of historical buildings and houses, ages ranging all the way from 5,000 years ago to a few decades ago in the rural areas.  It was located just outside of Suwon. On the way to the bus station in Songtan we saw the store below.  It's very strange seeing what looks to be a swastika on the outside of a building, but it actually an important symbol in Hinduism.


We got to the bus stop about 2 hours early, so we walked into the Suwon mall.  We went to a place called Lotteria.  Mom and I ordered chicken nuggets and Stephen had a burger.  It was interesting because they had the trash can organized with trash, plastic and food waste.  Also you were supposed to dump out the remainder of your drink and put the cup in a pile.  Very smart.


 
 
This is Brittany, Stephen and mom waiting for the bus to the village.  Stephen said that about after 5 minutes his feet were totally asleep, but he let Brittany sit.  That's love for ya.

 
 
Above is a twine tied with hopes and dreams and every first full moon after the new year, they light the hopes and dreams on fire.  Brittany, mom and I all made one, but Stephen said that he has everything that he wished for in life.  Just kidding he didn't say that, but it would have been romantic if he did.  Ew not to me though... maybe for Brittany.

 
 
This is the cow that Brittany befriended.  Or well we couldn't decide if they were actually getting along.  It was moving closer to her, but also kind of head butting her. The village was set up to show you what the different houses you would have found in the village.  They had the homes of farmers, a fortune teller, potters, and even a manor house.  The day was excruciatingly hot, so I could not imagine living in the open quarters during these times, let alone in the dead of winter.  Props previous generations.
 



Above is a picture of a rice paddy.  It was pretty cool. There is water surrounding the plants and lots of little creatures live in the water.  We saw quite a bit rice paddies as we were traveling, but this is the first we saw up close.

 
 
This is from the government house.  Stephen very willingly laid himself in this torture devise, so of course I took hold of the paddle.  In this building we also saw the carriers for the rich.  I cannot imagine how people were able to fit inside.  It was so small.  We were also able to go to a Buddhist temple.  It was very serene as you could imagine. 


 
 
Upon making our way back to Songtan, mom decided to add a little spice to the trip by falling down the stairs.  She twisted or hurt her ankle pretty badly and it made traveling pretty difficult.  We were able to make our way slowly to the hotel after having to jump onto three different trains when it should have only been one.
 
So mom was down for the count for the evening.  Dad and I were able to go to a Korean restaurant.  It was delicious.  The curator decided that we didn't know what we were doing (which we didn't), so she said "Mama show you".  I loved her she was so cute.  Essentially we had to make lettuce wraps with the meat.  We added kimchi.  They had two different kinds.  We had cabbage kimchi and cucumber kimchi.  The cucumber version was SPICY, but very good.
 
Tomorrow will be pretty low key because mom is laid up, but that's ok.  I'd like to get some shopping done.  It's unfortunate because the only card I brought was AMEX and they don't take it.  Obviously I should have brought my MasterCard as a backup, but I didn't.
 
I am very ready to get home to my boys though.  I miss them.


No comments:

Post a Comment