Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Seoul Day 2

Today was a return to Seoul.  We were intending on purchasing tickets on base for the DMZ, but unfortunately they were completely booked.  We had breakfast on base in a place called Checkertails.  It was pretty good.  Huge pancakes.

After breakfast we devised a plan to go back into the city to CoEx mall and see the aquarium and the Kimchi Field Museum.  This time we made sure that we had the correct exits from the Korail before we left. 

Walking into the CoEx Mall we saw a Cold Stone Creamery.  Obviously I was pretty excited, but having just had breakfast, I was able to contain myself.  As I mentioned we were off to the CoEx Aquarium (see below).

 

 So anyone that really knows me, knows that I'm pretty much in love with animals.  I love seeing them and I probably could watch and enjoy just being around them all day.  Now maybe not cleaning up after them, but in this situation thankfully that was not asked of me.  I thought that this aquarium was really nice.  It was themed and it had a lot of different things for you to look at.  They had many MANY tanks with different kind of fish that were really cool.  They had a stop light, a phone booth, even a toilet as a tank.

 
 
In the above picture, my fingers are being nibbled by little fish that eat the dead skin off of you.  These are typically found in some spas, I think.  It felt crazy.  It didn't hurt.  Also if you know me, I do make things more dramatic than is necessary.  

 
This little guy was desperately trying to dig his way out of his cage to get to me, but the plexiglass was too thick.

 
 
This little guy was so adorable.  I loved his little nose.  He was just a happy little swimmer.



This friend was so happy just eating his lettuce.  Dad pointed out that it was really nice to see manatees that weren't completely scarred by propellers, as that is what we normally see in FL.

 

 This penguin was pretty cool.  He kept swimming over to me.  Brittany claimed he was attracted to my ring, but I mean c'mon who isn't?
 
So after the Aquarium, which I probably could have spent more hours in, we went to the Kimchi museum.  It sounds thrilling right?  Well it was about what you'd expect, but I did not know that there were so many different kinds of Kimchi.  Literally there are dozens of kinds of kimchi, some for each season of the year. 
 
Following that mom really wanted to go to the Trick Eye Museum, so we traveled during rush hour on the Korail and that took FOREVER.  While I'm on the topic of the Korail, I will make a few observations.  1, people rarely talk to one another.  They walk into the train, generally on their phones, and stand facing a wall, on their phones.  If they happen to not be on their phones (RARE) they are reading a book or sleeping.  One thing I love about the Korail system is that they have designated seats for the elderly.  I think this is marvelous.  The seats are red and the rule is followed by all.  Speaking of the phones... they are HUGE.  My phone is constantly getting me teased for being large (I maintain that it is the case that is large, not my phone), but these phones are ridiculous.  I want to laugh aloud every time a call is received and the phone is held to their heads.  Ok ok I digress.  Let's return to the Trick Eye Museum.  Dad wasn't feeling well so he decided to rest and earn some money:
 
 

 The Trick Eye Museum, like the name suggests, is all about trick photography.  It was a lot of fun fooling around and getting totally ridiculous pictures.  Some of them are not appropriate for the internet and we joked how they would not be allowed in the US because of censorship.  They're pretty funny pictures though.  I included one, but there are so many.


At the end of the night as all of us are sore and exhausted, this lovely truck was seen.  It is a bar car or something.  They were selling vodka, Malibu and more.  Also note the neon lights.  There are lights everywhere.  It's really beautiful in the cities at night.
 
 
 
Oh yes and I feel as if I should mention that we drove through Gangnam station on the train today.  There were quite a few very fancy dressed people.  Tomorrow is the Korean Folk Village.  Pretty pumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment