Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 5: Bring on the Blarney

As the title of this blog suggests, we were headed for Blarney this morning.  We checked out of Killarney, way too early for my tastes.  We didn't get an opportunity to really explore the national park nor take another visit to Ross Castle.  Oh well! 

Blarney was beautiful.  We also couldn't have asked for nicer weather.  We rushed right to the castle to get in line to kiss the stone.  We were unsure of the lines and how long it would take to get to the Blarney Stone.  So we climbed the miniscule stairs to the top of the castle where the Blarney Stone is located.  For those of you who are not aware in order to kiss the stone you have to lay on your back lean over the edge of the castle wall and kiss the stone.  Not only do you have to trust the man holding on to you, but you have to lean uncomfortably far over the edge in order to reach the stone.  As a result, I'm not completely sure I made the Blarney Stone, I valued my life a little more.  I mean c'mon, I'm nearly 5'7'', you'd think that would be enough height to make it.

Here is picture of Blarney Castle:

Here is a picture of the view from where the Blarney Stone is located... that way you can appreciate having to lean backwards over the edge at this height:

How uncomfortable does this look?

We walked the grounds and walked through Blarney House.  It was pretty much a waste of time, but we didn't know that going in.  In the other house tours, these were more museum-like, but this house was currently being lived in and they had accumulated some old items, but they were not all original.

After Blarney, we travelled to Adare for lunch.  It was a cute little town that was very busy because of golf traffic.  They had beautiful thatched roof houses.  We even saw a wedding party.  The bride and groom had a gorgeous Bently to drive away from the church in. 

From Adare we were off to our new home, Dromoland Castle.  This was the place that I have been most looking forward to.  Sleeping in a castle!  When we arrived we were greeted by the staff who were standing at attention outside the castle to greet us.  We were invited inside and given a little reception with drinks and a brief overview of the castle.  This castle belonged to the descendents of Brian Boru, the O'Brien's and was passed down to several others (unfortunately I cannot tell you any more because The-Person-I-Am-Travelling-With stole my information sheet).  Anyways our room is phenomenal!  It's huge and luxurious and really everything I have ever dreamed of.  There is a flat screen that pulls out from the wall and turns to face wherever you are in the room.

Tonight was also the adult dinner.  It was delicious!  For an appetizer we had smoked salmon and shrimp, for a main course we had swordfish, and for dessert I had vanilla ice cream, while the other person had a pie of some sort.  During this dinner it became evident that we come from a different world than the people we are travelling with.  They are very well off and seem to travel all over the place.  They are all really nice, but just different.  It's funny, many of the people think The-Person-Who-I-Am-Travelling-With and I are newlyweds. I guess it's because we are just so happy in love!  I will write more later.  I need to go to bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment